The INGREDIBLE project (INteraction Gestuelle cREDIBLE) is funded by the French National Research Agency (ANR). The objective is to propose a set of scientific innovations in the domain of human-virtual agent interaction: the project aims at developing a prototype of an autonomous virtual agent capable of real-time dynamic affective bodily communication/coupling with a human.
Figure: The main focus is on the emotional body expressions and the dynamics of the gesture coupling during an interaction.
In human-human interactions, each actor’s gesture or variation of a gesture changes the other’s behavior and vice versa. Depending on the participants’ emotional states, such a mutual influence can lead to the emergence of coordination, and of a gesture based dialogue (composed of initiatives and imitations). Such a behavior, that is so specific to a “real” human interaction, is what the INGREDIBLE team wants to model in the real-virtual space.
The project tends to bring together several scientific domains:
- study and formalization of the dynamics of the body interaction between humans
- study on the body expression and posture of emotions
- real time gesture recognition and anticipation
- modeling of autonomous interactive agents
- computer generation of expressive movements and real-time adaptation